Improving sftp (was Re: BUG: scp -r follows symlinks)

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Sat Jan 10 12:36:46 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 06:16:10PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
> this does not belong to ssh(1).
> just write a ftp-to-sftp proxy.

While on this topic, are there any existing plans for development of sftp
and sftp-server in OpenSSH?  Should they eventually be broken-out projects
that evolve independently of the core ssh system or will they always be
provided with openssh as sftp and/or general subsystem examples?

I don't know of very many file transfer programs that can use the features
of ssh/sftp (or even do sftp at all, only sftp and WinSCP2 come to mind)
and I'm thinking about the best way to get/make one.

The proxy solution is one way, but it makes use of intelligent
authorization problematic..

//Peter