ssh daemon fails to call pam when user does not exist in /etc/passwd

Damien Mascord tusker at tusker.org
Mon Jul 5 17:05:58 EST 2004

Darren Tucker wrote:

> Damien Mascord wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to use a new NSS method for logins (libnss-mysql), and
>> have come across this behaviour as well.
>
> [...]
>
>> It seems as though the account is thought of as expired:
>>
>> debug3: mm_answer_pwnamallow
>> debug3: auth_shadow_acctexpired: today 12604 sp_expire 0 days left -12604
>

> That check only happens if PAM is disabled (just checked the 3.8.1p1
> code, it's auth.c line 91 or so).  Do you have "UsePAM yes" in your
> sshd_config?

It was in my unpatched sshd_config, but wasn't present in the (patched)
/usr/local/etc version.  Thanks for the heads up.

With or without the patch, I am able to login correctly.  It seems as
though a restart of ssh was needed to enable the new NSS methods for
some reason.  Not sure what the cause of the issue was, if I notice it
on a new installation, I will try and narrow this down, thanks for your
help.

Since this is the case, I am assuming that PAM is required if alternate
NSS methods are in use ?  Is there any way around this?

Thanks again for your quick response,

Damien

--
Damien Mascord (tusker at tusker dot org)
GPG key 2CB181BE / 93B2 EF21 0C7C F022 F467  7966 219E 92B3 2CB1 81BE