AIX and zlib

andy.tompkins at autozone.com andy.tompkins at autozone.com
Wed Jul 7 02:05:18 EST 2004

I noticed that AIX now comes with a version of zlib installed in /usr. (I'm
working on 5.2)
My first inclination was to simply uninstall it and use the one we compile
(and put in /usr/local).
However, IBM has made zlib part of the RPM package itself!
So, I cannot uninstall it without removing RPM....

Next, I tried passing --with-zlib=/usr/local to configure for ssh.
This seems to work, but after compilation an ldd on ssh reveals that it is
still trying to use the one in /usr/lib.

I then modified the Makefile so that blibpath has /usr/local/lib in it
before /usr/lib, and this works as expected.
Should configure be doing that for me on AIX?

Thanks
Andy

computer.