Strong Encryption

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Jul 10 01:08:10 EST 2004

Dan Kaminsky wrote:
>>Ben already said RC4 is the fastest encryption algorithm supported by SSH,
>>but it has some cryptographic weaknesses.
>
> Some?  :-)

It has a bias and some key material leakage, though I doubt that these
could be used to build a practical attack, at last not in the context of
SSH. See: http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~itsik/RC4/Papers/Rc4_ksa.ps

Remember that cryptographers have very different versions of "attack"
and "weakness" to the rest of the world.

> Heh, since when was SHA-1 slower than ciphering?

type      16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
sha1      4121.41k    12750.30k    30907.53k    47681.66k    56379.43k
rc4      79799.42k    87071.85k    94870.19k    95988.28k    96742.29k

HMAC is probably slower still and these numbers probably don't reflect
the speed that we achieve because currently we do a MAC ctx setup per
packet (IIRC).

Markus can post his AES benchmarks from his little VIA processor, they
are more fun still :)

>>The preferred encryption method is the counter mode CTR. CBC has some
>>small weaknesses; I personally don't consider them that severe.
>
> Given that SSH operates over TCP and thus has perfect record ordering
> and reconstruction, the advantages of CTR aren't nearly as great.  I'm
> open to being corrected on this assertion, though :-)

See the discussion of cryptographic weaknesses in the SSH protocol
relating to the use of CBC and encrypt-then-MAC on ietf-ssh@ list about
18 months ago - again, (IMO) these were theoretical concerns.

-d