More than 10 open sessions

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Jun 2 21:04:36 EST 2004

Gerwin Udo wrote:
> we use OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 and we would like to change the complete printer
> Spool communication from Unix r-Commands to ssh "OpenSSH". Sometimes, we
> have problems, because of very high connection set-ups in extremely
> short time intervals, more than 10 open sessions.
> The connection set-up is partly declined with the error message:
>
> I think, our Problem is the Parameter "#define MAX_SESSIONS" in
> session.c.

If you're opening lots of ssh connections (as opposed to opening
multiple sessions within a single connection) then the parameter you
need to tweak in sshd_config is "MaxStartups".  See the sshd_config man
page for details.

> Have you scheduled to integrate the Parameter "MAX_SESSIONS" as a
> configuration Parameter in sshd_config?

Maybe, it's not decided yet.

> When not, is it possible to change the parameter "#define MAX_SESSIONS"
> in session.c from 10 to 30 or 50, without getting other Problems?

Probably, but I've never tried it.  I don't think it will help in your
case, though.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.