LDAP issues with 3.8.1p1

Steve Belt (rgpg70) steve.belt at freescale.com
Sat Jun 12 03:03:43 EST 2004

Hello,

I have recently compiled and installed release 3.8.1p1.  This was done
on a Solaris 8 system using LDAP as its naming service.  The new
release, however, will not let me log in (as a regular user).  I
repeatedly get "Permission denied, please try again" messages.  The root
user, though, can log in okay.  The same thing happened with the 3.7.1p2
release.  The 3.6.1p1 release (which is currently running on the
machine) works okay, however.  All were compiled in the same manner
(--prefix=/opt/openssh as the only arg).

So, it seems something changed between the 3.6.1p1 release and the
3.7.1p2 release with regards to LDAP that affects user authentication.
 I was in hopes this would be "corrected" with the 3.8.1p1 release, but
it seems it has not.  Both the 3.7.1p2 and 3.8.1p1 releases, however,
work fine on machines using NIS as the naming service.  It would appear,
then, that openssh is having trouble with the LDAP name service and user
authentication.  The root user is allowed access probably due to the
fact that its account info is local to the machine (/etc/passwd), and is
not obtained through the name service.

Any help/info on running the current release of openssh with LDAP would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Steve "Wheat" Belt		Motorola, Inc.