RedHat forks OpenSSH?

Jefferson Ogata Jefferson.Ogata at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 12 06:16:32 EST 2004

listz at hate.cx wrote:
> However if Theo and other did cave at every prospect of some corporation
> flexing their muscles then, as he pointed out before, ssh.com would have already
> subjected the project and you couldn't type "ssh" at the command line for
> OpenSSH.

If acss were somehow central to openssh's functionality, as it is with
DVD decoding, I'd totally agree. But here is seems it's been added for
no other reason than to taunt lawyers. It's not a question of caving;
it's more like antagonism, all the more so because acss is a cipher with
  a very small key size. Inclusion of acss does nothing to strengthen
openssh, and may well weaken it or even introduce a critical vulnerability.

Like everyone else, Red Hat chooses its battles, and, having deep
pockets, it's a tempting target for litigation. I'm grateful to them for
fighting SCO, and I've got no problem if they want to build fences to
keep the other bozos away.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata at noaa.gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt at noaa.gov>