Bug in sftp's chmod

Michail Pishchagin mailfrom at mail.ru
Tue Oct 26 01:42:26 EST 2004

Hi,

I've discovered that on OpenSSH_3.6.1p1 (the latest SSH available on
OSX, but I've also tried a couple of different linux distributions),
when you 'sftp' to it, and try to 'chmod' some file or directory, only
last three octal digits do actually matter.

Example:

sftp sshtest at localhost
Connecting to localhost...
sshtest at localhost's password:
sftp> ls -l *
-rwxr-xr-x    0 504      504             0 Oct 25 17:19 file
sftp> chmod 754 file
Changing mode on /Users/sshtest/file
sftp> ls -l *
-rwxr-xr--    0 504      504             0 Oct 25 17:19 file

As you can see, the permissions have changed, bug UID, GID and Sticky
flags were not set. But it works fine in ssh session.

PS: I'm not subscribed, please CC me on reply.

-mblsha