OpenSSH is not asking for passwords.

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Apr 23 19:13:00 EST 2005

James Supancic wrote:
> ls -l /dev/tty
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root 0 5, 0 Apr 20 22:07 /dev/tty
> Its almost the same save I have a 0 where you have root, im not sure
> why that is, probably has something to do with groups not being setup.

The difference is probably just a missing entry for "0" in /etc/group.

If that's not the cause, try kicking ssh into debug mode ("ssh -vvv
whatever") and see what it says.

> When I first made my initrd I used only /dev/console, I just recently
> added /dev/tty*s. I am not sure if I am using the ttys or the console?
> What does it matter?

/dev/tty is a special case that allows a process to access its
controlling terminal.

> Doesn't ssh just use stdio like all other apps?

Not for passwords/passphrases.  Consider where ssh's stdin is coming
from in this example:

grep foo bar | ssh someserver baz

plus ssh need /dev/tty to access it's controlling terminal so it can
turn echo off while reading passwords.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.