Dead proxy tunnel not cleared

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Tue Feb 1 18:00:05 EST 2005

>> I have been observing the case where some part of the proxy connection(s)
>> break/time out, and the "tunnelconnect" proxy
>> (http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.html) exits.
>>
>> The problem is that the process turns into a zombie and _stays_ that way.
>> SSH (OpenSSH-3.9p1) does not seem to wait() for it. Looks like a
>> "deadwait".
>
> What platform is this on?  I'm guessing a Linux 2.6 kernel?

Yes, 2.6.8 from Suse 9.2. (Read: 2.6.8+2.6.9-rc1)
I do not think this issue is related to me, as the problem is on the client
side, i.e. a bug of ssh, not sshd.

As for the comments on bug#967, the following applies to me too:
- built using /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0, but that's a side effect of the
  dynamic linker, which automatically chooses /lib/tls if it exists,
  otherwise falls back on /lib.
- I do not use IPv6 at all
- I am using SSH2, with a public key to allow authentication w/o PW
- I was executing an interactive shell (not remote command, as in #967)
  when the proxy connection dropped and turned the tunnelconnector into a
  zombie, but it's been happening with non-interactive remote command too.

Unless someone already figured out what exactly (not) happens, I'll probably
just write script that will check if tunnelconnect gone zombie and kill the
associated ssh process. A cron script already restarts the tunnel if
necessary, so it won't be much work.

Jan Engelhardt