ftp over ssl via openssh

Edward Peschko esp5 at pge.com
Wed Feb 2 10:10:41 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:02:21AM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> No, OpenSSH doesn't do this.
> >>
> >> Unsurprisingly, Google has lots of information on ftp over ssl.
> >
> >And unsurprisingly, google has very little information about a command line
> >interface in unix that does ftp over ssl, probably because one doesn't exist.
> >
> >But seriously, why doesn't openssh do this? It seems like a pretty big
> >hole in its functionality..
>
> There's "lftp" -- google's first hit.

lftp doesn't do ssl connect (ssl negotiation over a separate port),
*and* auth tls, *and* auth ssl. I need all three. I looked at

    http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-phf/ftps-ext.html

and its hard to believe, but out of the forty distributions there,
there doesn't seem to be one ftps implementation that is portable
to the extent that I need, does all three schemes, and is freeware,

So far, the best I've got is c-kermit, but that's sort of an odd-duck.
It works better on the legacy machines (solaris, etc) and I'm having
difficulties in compiling for my linux box.

Anyways, I could use this or lftp, but it seems silly to have two
different distributions (lftp, openssh) with two separate
end user interfaces.  Why did the openssh project choose not to
include it?

Ed