Error when allocating PTY

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Jun 8 19:27:31 EST 2005

Martin Kiepfer wrote:
> I'm working on an boot image and actually try to get an ssh server
> working on clients, booting that  image over the net.

Using what OS and what libraries?  Configured OpenSSH with what options?
  You mentioned System.map so I'm guessing the kernel is Linux but the
rest is not specified.

> Here is the corresponding debug output of sshd:
[...]
> debug1: Allocating pty.
> debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
> openpty: Exec format error

Some platforms use a privileged helper program to set permissions and
perform other operations on ptys that require privileges.  I suspect
this is also the case for yours, and that the helper is missing or broken.

 > Am I right that "openpty" is a syscall?

It's usually a library function (probably in libc but possibly elsewhere).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.