which PID should be written to utmp/wtmp file

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed May 4 23:24:55 EST 2005

Logu wrote:
> For each user connection when privilege separation is enabled, 3
> processes are of interest for this topic.
>
> 1. sshd:[priv]         -  privileged user process.
> 2. sshd:user at pts/0 -  user process.
> 3. shell                  -  shell process.
>
> Openssh code writes the #2. sshd:user at pts/0 -  user process to the
> utmp/wtmp file. Is this the correct behaviour.? Or should it write the
> #3. shell pid to the utmp/wtmp file.

I think it should probably write #3 (it's the session leader) however
none of the doco I could find specifies (usually it just says "pid of
process" and doesn't specify exactly which process).  On most systems it
doesn't seem to make any difference (HP-UX being the apparent exception).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.