HPH-SSH code incorporation

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Oct 4 19:22:27 EST 2005

alan.cl.wong at nokia.com wrote:
> 	We are deciding on to either entirely use HPH code to our
> OpenSSH or not for systems globally and I come down to a question.

I assume you mean HPN?
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

> If HPH-SSH code is such an improvement to network performance for
> OpenSSH, then why has it not been incorporated to the OpenSSH code? Is
> there a reason? Is it because there are problems with the HPH-SSH code?

(speaking for myself) Short answer: lack of time to review and
difficulty testing the patch and/or variants thereof.

I did a review a of the (current at the time) patch while back:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=112316226728255
As far as I can see, none of those items have been addressed.

> Since the code has been out for a time and still has not been
> incorporated to the OpenSSH code. It creates doubt of there must be a
> reason why the OpenSSH group has not incorporated the patch. There are
> concerns of code scrutiny and review if it is not incorporated. OpenSSH
> has now become not just an application but a medium for data transfer
> and that means network performance is very critical. If network
> performance can be increased without decrease in security then it would
> make OpenSSH even more attractive.
>
> So the question is is there a reason why the OpenSSH group decided not
> to incorporate the code into theirs?

It basically needs to be split up, each piece tested individually and,
if possible, simplified.  We've worked the the HPN folk this way in the
past (eg bugzilla #896).

The testing part is difficult for folks without a transcontinental ATM
link or similar handy.  (I did some testing with a software solution to
add latency but spent more time debugging the test rig than ssh.)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.