sshrc not working when using restricted shells on HP-UX

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Apr 24 03:38:08 EST 2006

Darren Tucker wrote:
> > Tob_Sch at gmx.de wrote:
> > [about restricted shells]
> >> Here's the error message during starting the connection:
> >>
> >> sh: /bin/sh: The operation is not allowed in a restricted shell.
> >
> > I would interpret that as one of the commands in the sshrc failing,
> > rather than parsing of the file itself failing.   What's in sshrc?  Does
> > putting "set -x" at the top of sshrc provide any enlightenment?
>
> Looking at the code, it does:
> 	f = popen(_PATH_BSHELL " " _PATH_SSH_SYSTEM_RC, "w");
>
> which is effectively running:
>
> 	/bin/sh /usr/local/etc/sshrc
>
> I suspect the difference is that the platforms that work use /bin/sh for
> popen() but HP-UX uses the login shell.
> The Linux man page says unequivocally that it uses /bin/sh.  I can't
> conveniently check HP-UX right now.

The HP-UX 11.00 popen(3S) documentation says:

      popen() creates a pipe between the calling program and a command to be
      executed by the POSIX shell, /usr/bin/sh (see sh-posix(1)).

On HP-UX /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin since HP-UX 10.01.  So
effectively this is also /bin/sh, a POSIX shell, on HP-UX.

Bob