OpenSSH VPN between Mac OS X and OpenBSD

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat Feb 11 02:27:34 EST 2006

Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to ask this. I really just
deal with network performance issues. You should try the OpenSSH
development group. I've cc:'d that group on this message.

However, a quick look at the code shows that you'd only be getting that
warning if both CUSTOM_SYS_TUN_OPEN and SSH_TUN_OPENBSD are not defined.
Grep on the first define we find the following in the change log

(djm) [misc.c] Disable tunnel code for non-OpenBSD (for now), enable
again by providing a sys_tun_open() function for your platform and
setting the CUSTOM_SYS_TUN_OPEN define. More work is required to match
OpenBSD's tunnel protocol, which prepends the address family to the packet

Then on the 20060101 there is a note mentioning support for NetBSD and
FreeBSD. But thats about it. No mention of OS X or linux.

So... I don't know what this means in terms of what it can or cannot do
but the people on the dev list can tell you for sure.

Chris Rapier
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center