Patch to add resume feature to scp

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 01:37:54 EST 2006

On 5/31/06, Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On May 12 20:47, Michael Stone wrote:
> > On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:17:33AM -0400, you wrote:
> > >Based on the interactions I have with the people that make use of our
> > >facilities most people still prefer SCP especially when it comes to
> > >automated file transfer processes. Since SCP, as such, is unmaintainable
> > >maybe it makes sense to actually write a new SCP that incorporates the
> > >best points of the old version (ease of use, ease of scripting, etc)
> > >with more advanced features. That way backward compatibility is
> > >maintained without abandoning a useful and widely used file transfer tool.
> >
> > Or, just change/add an interface to sftp. I can't think of any generally
> > useful feature of scp that can't be implemented fairly cleanly over the
> > sftp protocol.
>
> I'm almost 100% sure that users could be trained using sftp if two
> scp command line options are added to sftp, -r and -p.

The large issue I have seen is not with users (though many of them
were hard enough to train to use scp versus rcp) but legacy
scripts/code.

I was told that the scp2 command from ssh.com was really just an
overlay of the sftp protocol. It does the automatic translations of
put/get etc and it just looks like scp to the user.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator