SunOS 4.1.4 "configure: WARNING" for sys/audit.h and sys/dir.h

Russell Ruby russ at sludge.net
Fri Jun 30 02:05:12 EST 2006

Openssh:  	openssh-SNAP-20060626  and  openssh-4.3p2
System:		SunOS 4.1.4
Compiler:	gcc 2.8.1

CONFIGURE PROBLEM:
The warnings included below occur because of missing include files for each
compilation test.

Specifically:
   sys/audit.h  needs   sys/types.h  and  sys/label.h
   sys/dir.h    needs   sys/types.h

PARTIAL FIX:

   Most of the machinery for the sys/types.h dependency is already present.
   One possibility is to add the line "AC_DEFINE(HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H)" to
   "configure.ac" as follows for openssh-SNAP-20060626/configure.ac:

    429 *-*-sunos4*)
    430         CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -DSUNOS4"
    431         AC_CHECK_FUNCS(getpwanam)
    432         AC_DEFINE(PAM_SUN_CODEBASE)
+ add this +	AC_DEFINE(HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H)
    433         conf_utmp_location=/etc/utmp
    434         conf_wtmp_location=/var/adm/wtmp
    435         conf_lastlog_location=/var/adm/lastlog
    436         AC_DEFINE(USE_PIPES)
    437         ;;

   However, the sys/label.h dependency would take a bit more and I'm
   in no hurry to trip over sys/audit.h and sys/labels.h anyway...
   Hey - I know SunOS4.1.4 is busted - but it still works for me :)

CONFIGURE WARNINGS:

checking sys/audit.h usability... no
checking sys/audit.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/audit.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/audit.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/audit.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: sys/audit.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: sys/audit.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: sys/audit.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------- ##
checking for sys/audit.h... yes
checking sys/dir.h usability... no
checking sys/dir.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/dir.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/dir.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/dir.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: sys/dir.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: sys/dir.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: sys/dir.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org ##
checking for sys/dir.h... yes