memory leak problem using openssh 3.4p1-263 ons Suse (SLES 8)

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Nov 29 19:56:40 EST 2006

jerome michot wrote:
> Whenever copying files using ssh (scp) from SLES 8 (openssh
> 3.4p1-263) to another box (e.g SLES 8, Solaris 8, Windows XP), the
> memory of the initial SLES 8 box gets depleted. To make sure this is
> true I use the free command whilst copying and see that the used
> memory reaches 90 / 100%. After the copying is finished this memory
> is never released. No memory tool can tell me what happened to it…
> Does anyone have an idea?

Sounds like the memory just ends up in the buffer cache.  Does your free
command have "buffers" and "cached" columns?  If so, what do they show
before and afterward?

If the scp and ssh processes are gone (and it sound like they are) then
there's nothing ssh or scp can do to leak memory (short of operating
system bugs, but we can't help you with those).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.