Static build under Cygwin?

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 03:11:57 EST 2007

On Apr  5 19:06, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:29:14PM -0400, Chris Rapier wrote:
> > Peter Stuge wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, it would, but MinGW != Cygwin and I don't think OpenSSH likes it
> > > very much in Win32 land.
> > >
> > > Cygwin is a POSIX compatibility layer for Win32.
> > >
> > > MinGW is gcc+friends for Win32 with little or no built-in
> > > compatibility.
> >
> > So basically it would require voodoo. How many goats?
> > ;)
>
> 42.
>
> Back to the original question:
>
> http://www.sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg01162.html
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-06/msg00756.html

You can't build statically against Cygwin and it's not intended to work.

> Seems it's not doable. But perhaps it's OK to distribute cygwin1.dll
> along with ssh.exe ?

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP.

Please don't.  There should be only exactly one Cygwin DLL installed on
a machine and that should ideally be the Cygwin DLL installed from the
Cygwin net distribution.  Having two Cygwin DLLs with different version
numbers on a machine is bound to result in trouble.  It's roughly
equivalent to trying to run two Linux kernels on the same machine in
parallel without virtualization layer.

Further discussions about providing the Cygwin DLL (including especially
the licensing issues) should better be directed to the mailing list
cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen