User-specific sshd_config?

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Sat Apr 5 04:25:18 EST 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:41:14AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > When faced with a similar problem I ran an additional and separate
> > > sshd and supplemented the configuration with command line arguments.
> > > In this case IIRC -oPasswordAuthentication=no -Port=2222
> > > -oPidFile=/var/run/sshd-noppass.pid
> >
> > Unfortunately the user will still be authenticated by password on
> > port 22.
>
> You missed reading (and subsequently trimmed out)

Didn't miss..

> the fact that there were firewall rules involved.
..
> :-)
>
> I don't know for what purpose the original poster is wanting to use
> specialized configuration to turn off passwords but in my case I was
> able to use firewall rules
..

..but since I assumed the original poster lacked root privileges
(from tone and wording) and expected root turn-around time to be a
little too long, I got the impression that firewall rules could not
be part of a working solution. (Since the question was about
user-level rather than network-level control.)

Sorry for the confusion! :)

//Peter