SSH Command Line Password Support

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Aug 28 04:55:07 EST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:17:40AM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Note that you want to make sure that ssh is not connected to a tty in
> this case, or else it will try to ask for the password from the tty
> anyway.  For scripts run from cronjobs, that shouldn't be a problem,
> but testing them from your own shell might be confusing.  Jim Knoble
> pointed out the possible use of setsid(1) for this very purpose a few
> days ago on this list.

Now *that* is actually something I would find extremely useful - tell
SSH "do not prompt for anything, use SSH_ASKPASS or fail silently" without
having to mess around with process groups and controlling ttys, which is
very very very much non-portable.  I need to do stuff on AIX, Solaris,
BSD, and Linux, and there is no single way that works on all those to
get rid of your controlling tty... :-(

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de