5.1p1 doesn't work, 5.0p1 works fine

Dan dan3857 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 10:45:20 EST 2008

> Maybe your router is choking on the
> no-more-sessions at openssh.com request.
> Try commenting out this block in ssh.c:ssh_session2()
>
> >        /* If we don't expect to open a new
> session, then disallow it */
> >        if (options.control_master == SSHCTL_MASTER_NO)
> {
> >                debug("Requesting
> no-more-sessions at openssh.com");
> >                packet_start(SSH2_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST);
> >
> packet_put_cstring("no-more-sessions at openssh.com");
> >                packet_put_char(0);
> >                packet_send();
> >        }

This is the cause of the problem!  I can connect fine to my APC UPS now this is commented out.  With the router, right after the password is entered, there's this error message:

PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

Then I get the router prompt, and everything is fine from then on.

I suspect this issue will come up more often as more people use 5.1p1 with  vendor-supplied sshd servers in various pieces of hardware.

-Dan