RFC: ssh-copy-id tweaks

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Sat Feb 2 08:02:03 EST 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Nick Dokos wrote:

[..]
> What do you think about the proposals to eliminate duplicate keys from
> .ssh/authorized_keys?

I'm really not that much of a fan of either method.  Both fail if the
auhtorized_keys file has any customizations (e.g.  from="" in front of the
key.  Something I tend to do out of habbit after moving a key up to a new
server).

If anything I'd rather see a solution where it it looks at the
RSA/DSA/RSA1 key proper without any prefix logic and not insert a new
entry if it finds one (with a nice message to that effect as well).

The other two solutions are to me are no better than the existing behavior
in this regards.

- Ben