HPN-SSH: HPN13v1 Released

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Fri Feb 8 04:30:47 EST 2008

Ben Bennett and I (both researchers at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing
Center) have released the HPN13v1 patch set for OpenSSH 4.7p1. Primarily
this release incorporates the previously announced multi-threaded
AES-CTR mode cipher which will allow users to make better use of
multi-core environments. In our test environments we've seen upwards of
a 100% improvement in throughput performance compared to stock AES-CTR.

Also, we're distributing patches in a different way. From now on there
will be 'kitchen sink' and 'a la carte' versions of the patches
available. The kitchen sink version includes dynamic SSH windows, none
cipher switching, multithreaded AES-CTR, peak throughput display for
SCP, and enhanced server side logging. The a la carte patches will
provide each of these as a separate patch against the stock OpenSSH
code. However, I've not yet split out the dynamic window patch from the
none cipher patch. I hope to have that finished in the next week.

The patches, papers, presentations, and more information are available
from http://psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

Questions, comments, ideas, and requests are always appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Chris Rapier
Ben Bennett
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center