AIX build issues

Daniel Sands dnsands at sandia.gov
Sat Feb 9 07:28:05 EST 2008

I have uncovered a couple of issues building OpenSSH on an AIX platform.

1)  blibpath does not include the location of the SSL library.  This is
fine if linking to /usr/lib/libcrypto.a, but not if linking to a local
install of OpenSSL.  Due to problems of collisions (even in /usr/local),
I had to place Kerberos and OpenSSL within their own subdirs of
/usr/local (/usr/local/openssl and /usr/local/krb5).  So the libcrypto.a
from openssl is not found when I try to run sshd.

2) blibpath places /usr/lib and /lib first.  It is actually advised
according to a page I read on IBM's site not to include these at all.
But certainly not before the other paths such as the location of
Kerberos and OpenSSL.

3) This blibpath should be placed last in the list.  Since the config
script calls krb5-config, and krb5-config returns a link line that
includes its own blibpath setting, this actually ends up overriding the
one constructed by the configure script.