Question on openSSH and sending file to MVS file formats

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Sun Feb 10 04:02:22 EST 2008

Hi John,

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:15:01PM -0600, John R. Mull wrote:
> Do you have an example of  an unix host machine initiating a file
> transfer to an ibm z/OS and create a mvs file?

I'm afraid the only ones who can help with this would be those who
know how the implementation on z/OS was done. I guess that is IBM.

> I have examples from appendix A of the IBM Ported Tools for z?OS
> Users Guide that shows how from IBM jcl initiated, I shell down
> using the !cp command to pull it in to z/OS unix, then sFTP to the
> external unix machine.  That works ok.  I can also run an IBM mvs
> job and pull a file from my Tokyo site and create a MVS file, but
> it is running the program on the IBM side.
>
> If my client's  unix Sun box in Tokyo connects to my chicago  ibm
> mainframe, what sFTP commands to I use to create a MVS file?

I suggest starting with trying to downloading files from your IBM
machine, even though this is not what you ultimately want to do.
It might provide more helpful error messages or hints that will
help understanding the required filename syntax.

Oh, and are you absolutely sure that the IBM machine actually is able
to act as an SFTP server? This may not be the case.

> This perhaps?
>
>         put    john_sftp_test.txt     "//'TEST.JOHN.SFTP.TEXT'"
>         quit

Does this work? Then you're all set.

> Or perhaps I need to have a file watcher running on ibm z/Os unix
> to run a program to complete the transfer.

One option is certainly to always initiate the transfer from the IBM
machine, since you've found a working method for that. You would have
to set up a staging server which both tokyoclient and youribm can log
in to via SFTP. It could run some common Linux or other well-known
system.

Hope this helps.

//Peter