Posting request

John Mull jrmull at eagle88.com
Mon Mar 3 12:55:31 EST 2008

Peter

Please delete this posting are at least remove the company name.

thanks

john

                        Question on openSSH and sending file to MVS file formats Remove Highlighting

                  Hello,

                  I was looking for Damien Miller, Markus Friedl or Theo de Raadt to
                  possibly answer an SFTP question. I am having trouble locating an example
                  and think the task can not be done.

                  Do you have an example of an unix host machine initiating a file transfer
                  to an ibm z/OS and create a mvs file?

                  I have examples from appendix A of the IBM Ported Tools for z?OS Users
                  Guide that shows how from IBM jcl initiated, I shell down using the !cp
                  command to pull it in to z/OS unix, then sFTP to the external unix
                  machine. That works ok. I can also run an IBM mvs job and pull a file
                  from my Tokyo site and create a MVS file, but it is running the program on
                  the IBM side.

                  If my client's unix Sun box in Tokyo connects to my chicago ibm
                  mainframe, what sFTP commands to I use to create a MVS file?

                  This perhaps?

                  put john_sftp_test.txt "//'TEST.JOHN.SFTP.TEXT'"
                  quit

                  Or perhaps I need to have a file watcher running on ibm z/Os unix to run a
                  program to complete the transfer.

                  Thank you for your assistance.

                  Regards,
                  John Mull
                  Northern Trust Bank, Chicago

                  stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy

                  Feb 9, 2008, 9:02 AM

                  Post #2 of 2 (44 views)
                 Re: Question on openSSH and sending file to MVS file formats Remove Highlighting [In reply to]

                  Hi John,

                  On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:15:01PM -0600, John R. Mull wrote:
                  > Do you have an example of an unix host machine initiating a file
                  > transfer to an ibm z/OS and create a mvs file?

                  I'm afraid the only ones who can help with this would be those who
                  know how the implementation on z/OS was done. I guess that is IBM.

                  > I have examples from appendix A of the IBM Ported Tools for z?OS
                  > Users Guide that shows how from IBM jcl initiated, I shell down
                  > using the !cp command to pull it in to z/OS unix, then sFTP to the
                  > external unix machine. That works ok. I can also run an IBM mvs
                  > job and pull a file from my Tokyo site and create a MVS file, but
                  > it is running the program on the IBM side.
                  >
                  > If my client's unix Sun box in Tokyo connects to my chicago ibm
                  > mainframe, what sFTP commands to I use to create a MVS file?

                  I suggest starting with trying to downloading files from your IBM
                  machine, even though this is not what you ultimately want to do.
                  It might provide more helpful error messages or hints that will
                  help understanding the required filename syntax.

                  Oh, and are you absolutely sure that the IBM machine actually is able
                  to act as an SFTP server? This may not be the case.

                  > This perhaps?
                  >
                  > put john_sftp_test.txt "//'TEST.JOHN.SFTP.TEXT'"
                  > quit

                  Does this work? Then you're all set.

                  > Or perhaps I need to have a file watcher running on ibm z/Os unix
                  > to run a program to complete the transfer.

                  One option is certainly to always initiate the transfer from the IBM
                  machine, since you've found a working method for that. You would have
                  to set up a staging server which both tokyoclient and youribm can log
                  in to via SFTP. It could run some common Linux or other well-known
                  system.

                  Hope this helps.

                  //Peter