Testing wanted: OpenSSH 4.8

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 18 08:02:33 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:50:25 +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are preparing to make the release of OpenSSH 4.8 soon, so we would
> greatly appreciate testing of snapshot releases in as many environments
> and on as many operating systems as possible.

The 20080318 snapshot builds and tests OK on the following platforms:

	RHEL 4/x86_64 w/ gcc
	SLES 10/IA64 w/icc 9.1
	Solaris 9/SPARC w/ Sun Forte compilers

It builds on AIX 5.3, but I haven't gotten through the regression tests
yet. (This is most likely due to my lack of familiarity with AIX.)

As noted previously, -fstack-protector-all is mistakenly used with the
Intel (icc) compiler. Here's the snippet from the config.log

configure:5418: checking if icc supports -fstack-protector-all
configure:5441: icc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith
-Wuninitialized -fstack-protector-al
l -Werror  -no_cpprt -ldl -fstack-protector-all -Werror conftest.c  >&5
icc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option
'-fstack-protector-all'
icc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option
'-fstack-protector-all'
configure:5447: $? = 0
configure:5453: result: yes
configure:5457: checking if -fstack-protector-all works
configure:5482: icc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith
-Wuninitialized -fstack-protector-al
l  -no_cpprt -ldl -fstack-protector-all conftest.c  >&5
icc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option
'-fstack-protector-all'
icc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option
'-fstack-protector-all'
configure:5485: $? = 0
configure:5491: ./conftest
configure:5494: $? = 0
configure:5496: result: yes

Apparently, Intel is managing to fool configure into detecting icc as
gcc, but -Werror is not causing the test to exit with a non-zero status.
--
Iain Morgan