Testing wanted: OpenSSH 4.8

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Mar 18 09:56:26 EST 2008

Iain Morgan wrote:
> Roumen Petrov wrote:
> > > Shouldn't all POSIX compliant shells understand `type -p <cmd>'?

People are often surprised to learn that which, type, command, and so
forth are about as portable as echo.  Which is to say, not very
portable.  It has been a long running problem.

> > If "which" is problem on some platforms may be "command -v" work on them ?
>
> Of the platforms I have access to, it looks like 'command -v' would
> work. For example, Solaris and AIX have a /bin/command shell script that
> does the right thing. Of course, there may still be OS's out there where
> 'command -v' does not work.

Since 'command -v' is an XSI extension a strictly POSIX conforming
system need not implement it.

The most portable solutions I have seen use portable shell to
accomplish the task.

Bob