About multiple hosts with same hostname

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Apr 1 05:46:53 EST 2009

Christian Iversen wrote:
> Rick Jones wrote:
> > So, it would seem that simply saying ssh user at FQDN is going to be the
> > way to go.  It has been my experience that if one uses the FQDN that is
> > what will go into the file.
>
> Mine too. I might just set up some zsh completion and perhaps some
> aliases to work around the extra typing involved.

Isn't that already the default?  You may be falling victim to
HashKnownHosts=yes preventing this from working by default.

> >> Bonus question: We have 2 storage servers (let's call them storage0
> >> and storage1), and between them they run a floating IP address with a
> >> heartbeat-monitored NFS daemon (let's call that nfs0).
> >>
> >> Now, obviously the host key changes whenever there's been a failover,
> >> and so again we get this same kind of problem. What to do in this
> >> case? Any ideas?

IMNHO if two machines are hot failover spares for each other and you
control both of them completely then it is best to ensure that they
both have the same host key.  Together as a set they are effectively
one machine.  Similar to a set of mirrored disks.  Effectively you
have mirrored servers.  This is what I do to solve this problem for my
environment.

Bob