sshd exponential backoff patch

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Feb 1 00:48:04 EST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:32:43AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Sam Watkins wrote:
> > I wrote a patch to openssh sshd.c which enables "exponential backoff",
> > so that an attacker cannot brute force your password by making hundreds
> > of login attempts.
>
> I read "hundreds of login attempts" in order to brute force a
> password.  But it actually takes orders of magnitudes more to brute
> force attack a password.  This is okay.  You really do want the best
> attack available to be a brute force attack.  The present safeguards
> will prevent the attack from succeeding before the end of time.

The problem is that people still pick poor passwords.  So the attacker
might not have to test (70^8) combinations (lower+uppercase+digits+
few special caracters, 8 of them long) but might succeed after a few
hundred probes.

... and slowing down attackers might actually help things here.

(I use fail2ban for that, which works quite well)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de