forward the dbus session?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Feb 15 00:18:48 EST 2009

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 02:20:42 -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

> Any reason why this has to be an unique feature?  Is there some form of
> authentication cookie or something that needs to be managed?

No but there is an environment variable that needs to be set, in the same
manner as DISPLAY is set for X forwarding.

And the socket being forwarded will most likely be a UNIX (socat calls
them "abstract") socket.  AFAIK ssh does not handle UNIX sockets
currently, does it?

It is possible to set the local dbus transport to use TCP (in addition to
or instead of) the UNIX socket, but I think making that a pre-requisite
for DBUS forwarding is just lame.  By default it is a UNIX socket, so SSH
should just use that.

> That is
> really the only reason why X forwarding exists.  Otherwise it could also
> be yet another port tunnel.

How would the setting of the DISPLAY variable be done then?

b.