sshd_config ChrootDirectory ambiguity...

Robert Waite winstonwaite at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 06:38:05 EST 2009

Under "ChrootDirectory" there is a line that says,

"This path, and all its components, must be root-owned directories
that are not writable by any other user or group."

When I first read this "all its components" seemed to mean that
all directories and files within this directory must be root owned
and root only writable. This seemed odd as I would not be able
to allow uploads if this was true.

In this ChrootDirectory I have three folders. I set them all to be
owned by a non root user and writable by a group. When I log in, it
works just as I hoped and I am able to upload now.
I would have figured at the very least that "all its components" would
mean that direct children of the ChrootDirectory would have to have the
above mentioned restrictions. However, it did work.

So my question is... what is meant by "all its components"?