ssh-import-id

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 17 05:44:53 EST 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Peter Stuge wrote:

> Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> > > why not use SSH? Install *one* server's key, and pull the users'
> > > keys over that connection.
> ..
> > It's a bootstrapping issue.  How do you get that "one" server's key
> > there?
>
> Same way you get the command in the boot script there.
>
> How do you do that by the way? I assume Ubuntu server .isos do not
> come with ssh-import-id kirkland in them. ;)

I think that its hard to argue that getting your ssh keys to a server is
not easier by
 - logging into a system at the console, and then typing:
 - ssh-import-id smoser
than
 - logging into a system at the console, and then typing:
 - plugging a USB key in, copying a .ssh key file off
   ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and getting perms right ...
   (I guess some more elite than me might be able to type theirs from
    memory.)

The thing that might be arguable is the trust in the system (depending on
https and networking and launchpad ... ).  And I think that is being
argued also on this thread.

Trust aside, I personally find the utility very useful, as I would one
based on monkeysphere also.

Scott