feature request

Cyrille Lefevre cyrille.lefevre-lists at laposte.net
Tue Feb 8 20:41:21 EST 2011

Le 08/02/2011 01:41, Iain Morgan a écrit :

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 15:56:29 -0600, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> how about to provide a simple way to forward raw file descriptors
>> through ssh tunnels.
>>
>> something which may provide a way to write something like :
>>
>> (echo 3; read>  out3) |&
>> exec 3<&p 4>&p
>> echo 5>| out5
>> exec 5<>  out5
>> echo 1 |
>> ssh -d 3:rd -d 4:wr -d 5:rw '
>> 	read<&3; echo $REPLY>&4
>> 	read; echo $REPLY
>> 	read<&5; echo $REPLY>&5
>> '>  out1
>>
>> the expected result is 1 in out1, 3 in out3 and 5\n5 in out5.
>>
>> PS : hope the sample is right :-)
>
> What problem are you hoping to solve with this?

the ability to have more than the 3 standard file descriptors in remote
shell scripting.

a common case I use is :

exec 9>&1
var=$(script)

where script output its result on fd 1, error messages of fd 2 and
informational messages on fd 9. don't ask why, it's like that.

thing impossible through ssh w/o playing w/ something to multiplex
standard file descriptors through fd 2 using fifos, tags and loops.

https://groups.google.com/group/fr.comp.os.unix/browse_thread/thread/8acc88b475b324b6/21d2e2f1bf85c5a7?hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&q=cyrille+lefevre+PreSshFilterLog&pli=1

I've tryed netpipesw/o success and even if that worked, that will
require to have netpipes on every host which is not possible in my
production environment.

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre-lists at laposte.net