Enhance sftp protocol: get SHA hash of file

Thomas Güttler guettli at thomas-guettler.de
Wed Jun 29 21:57:55 EST 2011

Am 29.06.2011 13:04, schrieb Philipp Marek:
> On Wednesday 29 June 2011, Thomas Güttler wrote:
>> This would make it possible to run a rsync like file transfer
>> on sftp.
> Well, this would work for append-only files; if bytes get inserted or
> deleted in the middle, you'd need a Manber-Hash like rsync uses.

Hi Phil,

I tried to find more info about "Manber-Hash". You are the author
of this perl module?

Unfortunately the link on this page is broken:

http://search.cpan.org/~pmarek/Digest-ManberHash-0.7/ManberHash.pm

This page does not exist any more:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/manber94finding.html.

My intention for the hash values enhancement for sftp is a deduplication
backup system. I would cut files into chunks with a fixed offset.

  Thomas