SCTP support for OpenSSH

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu May 31 16:37:33 EST 2012

On 31 May 2012 00:26, Robin Seggelmann <seggelmann at fh-muenster.de> wrote:

Hi Robin,

> If new addresses are available, they won't be used. This is only possible by monitoring the interfaces and using the ADD-IP extension to add the additional address "manually".

I think this would be exceptionally important to sell this feature.
This would allow you to traverse home<->office with WLAN->3G->WLAN
without getting disconnected.

Only thing that wouldn't work, is if client's last IP disappears, even
if new IP appears the second after. But that is SCTP short-coming.

> Regarding DNS, if you're using a hostname to connect to a server, it will be resolved and the connection will be established. If the DNS information changes during the connection lifetime, this has no effect, because the connection is already up and running and so no additional DNS lookup will be done. To have changing DNS information affecting the SCTP connection, you have to look the hostname up periodically and use the ADD-IP extension to add new addresses and remove old ones.

I think periodic DNS lookup would be interesting, you could do major
designs, without disrupting services. It doesn't have to be done
often, as it is always planned change.

> While these things are basically possible, they are quite complex and partially system dependent. So if these are often requested features, I could add this functionality later on, but I currently don't consider them as high priority. The first step right now is to have SCTP support at all, i.e. the first patch with the basic support has to be applied to the official source.

Fully agreed, release little, release often. But seeing how other
projects are lagging with SCTP, I think practical scenarios what the
new feature will give would help selling it. And without ADD-IP the
benefits are somewhat limited. The DNS definitely is just bonus.
But I understand that platform dependency (how will you learn about
new IP) is non-trivial problem.

--
  ++ytti