chaining AUTH methods -- adding GoogleAuthenticator 2nd Factor to pubkey auth? can't get the GA prompt :-/

Dmt Ops opsdmt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 01:04:20 EST 2014

>> AuthenticationMethods publickey,keyboard-interactive
> I wasn't even aware of that option.

Neither was I.

I had

    PreferredAuthentications  publickey,keyboard-interactive

in ssh_config ... and thought that that, plus

    ChallengeResponseAuthentication  yes

in sshd_config was sufficient.

Adding

    ChallengeResponseAuthentication  yes
    KbdInteractiveAuthentication  yes
+    AuthenticationMethods  publickey,keyboard-interactive

to sshd_config, now, after sshd restart I can no longer ssh in at all.

I simply get

    Permission denied (keyboard-interactive).

Once I get in front of the machine, I'll grab an "sshd -ddd" ...