Dealing with roaming machines

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Thu Dec 25 19:20:40 EST 2014

martin f krafft wrote:
> My laptop and I roam between three networks, though sometimes
> I leave the laptop at the office overnight, or hop over to the third
> site for an hour or two.
>
> I'd like to find a way to configure OpenSSH (or Linux in general) to
> try the other networks if the machine cannot be found locally.

I am sure you have already thought of this and didn't prefer it but
the way I handle this is by using OpenVPN.  My mobile laptop always
"calls back home" with OpenVPN.  I always access the laptop using the
VPN address no matter where it is located.

When I ssh it means that the connection is encrypted both by OpenVPN
and by SSH.  But it is always over WiFi so the performance bottleneck
is the WiFi and the double encryption is insignificant then.

Having a stable VPN address for the mobile laptop no matter where it
exists in the network is quite nice.  Also this gives my laptop secure
access to the private side of my network for all services not just
ssh.  The solution works well for me.

Good luck!
Bob