Call for testing: OpenSSH 6.6
djm at mindrot.org
Sat Mar 1 09:19:46 EST 2014
OpenSSH 6.6 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
on as many platforms and systems as possible. This is a small release
mostly to fix some minor but annoying bugs in openssh-6.5.
Snapshot releases for portable OpenSSH are available from
The OpenBSD version is available in CVS HEAD:
Portable OpenSSH is also available via anonymous CVS using the
instructions at http://www.openssh.com/portable.html#cvs or
via Git at https://anongit.mindrot.org/openssh.git/
Running the regression tests supplied with Portable OpenSSH does not
require installation and is a simply:
$ ./configure && make tests
Live testing on suitable non-production systems is also
appreciated. Please send reports of success or failure to
openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org.
Below is a summary of changes. More detail may be found in the ChangeLog
in the portable OpenSSH tarballs.
Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release.
Changes since OpenSSH 6.5
This is primarily a bugfix release.
New / changed features:
* ssh(1), sshd(8): this release removes the J-PAKE authentication code.
This code was experimental, never enabled and had been unmaintained
for some time.
* ssh(1): when processing Match blocks, skip 'exec' clauses other clauses
predicates failed to match.
* ssh(1): if hostname canonicalisation is enabled and results in the
destination hostname being changed, then re-parse ssh_config(5) files
using the new destination hostname. This gives 'Host' and 'Match'
directives that use the expanded hostname a chance to be applied.
* ssh(1): avoid spurious "getsockname failed: Bad file descriptor" in
ssh -W. bz#2200, debian#738692
* sshd(8): allow the shutdown(2) syscall in seccomp-bpf and systrace
sandbox modes, as it is reachable if the connection is terminated
during the pre-auth phase.
* ssh(1), sshd(8): fix unsigned overflow that in SSH protocol 1 bignum
parsing. Minimum key length checks render this bug unexploitable to
compromise SSH 1 sessions.
* sshd_config(5): clarify behaviour of a keyword that appears in
multiple matching Match blocks. bz#2184
* ssh(1): avoid unnecessary hostname lookups when canonicalisation is
* sshd(8): avoid sandbox violation crashes in GSSAPI code by caching
the supported list of GSSAPI mechanism OIDs before entering the
* ssh(1): fix possible crashes in SOCKS4 parsing caused by assumption
that the SOCKS username is nul-terminated.
* ssh(1): fix regression for UsePrivilegedPort=yes when BindAddress is
* ssh(1), sshd(8): fix memory leak in ECDSA signature verification.
* ssh(1): fix matching of 'Host' directives in ssh_config(5) files
to be case-sensitive again (regression in 6.5).
* sshd(8): don't fatal if the FreeBSD Capsicum is offered by the
system headers and libc but is not supported by the kernel.
* Fix build using the HP-UX compiler.
- Please read http://www.openssh.com/report.html
Security bugs should be reported directly to openssh at openssh.com
OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt,
Kevin Steves, Damien Miller, Darren Tucker, Jason McIntyre, Tim Rice and
More information about the openssh-unix-dev