Character Set conversion from EBCIDIC to ASCII

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:36:29 EST 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Damien Miller <djm at mindrot.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, Jitendra.Hushare at sungard.com wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>    We as an organization are going to use SFTP for our data transfer.
>> Our requirement is to SFTP the file from IBM Mainframe (z/390) to Unix
>> or Windows. Currently we are using FTP, which converts the character
>> set from EBCIDIC to ASCII and also take care of CR and LF aspect.
>>
>>    My question is, do the same feature is available in SFTP, where it
>> smartly understand the source and destination operating system and
>> does the character set conversion and take care of CR and LF as FTP
>> does currently. Please suggest.
>
> No, OpenSSH does not and will not implement character set conversion.
> You might be able to find a 3rd-party sftp client or server that does
> it.

There are some long standing problems with FTP. The occasionally
erroneous and daa corrupting EOL handling and character
transformations are two of them. If you really need to do something
like this, may I suggest that you SFTP or rsync-over-ssh to a staging
area, and push from there to a publication as needed? That lets you
verify the files before transmission, especially if you use rsync.