Username has a slash at the end

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Oct 28 14:42:35 EST 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM, G. G. <gwartney at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of my unfortunate users decided to put a slash at the end of his
> username "username/". Is there any way to use ssh to specify that the slash
> is part of the username? I've tried every combination of escape characters
> that I can think of but sshd always removes the slash.

I just built stock openssh-5.5p1's on a recent Fedora, and sshd actually
accepts it if you manually edit /etc/{passwd,shadow}, both with and without
PAM enabled.

$ ssh -p 2022 -l "testuser/" localhost
Password:
[...]
  USER=testuser/
  LOGNAME=testuser/

Sorry, but whatever the problem is, it's not in the stock sshd.  There may
be some modification in the sshd, or it could be some other problem.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.