Why there is a difference in MaxAuthTries behavior ?

sshuser GA sshuserga at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:02:44 AEDT 2015

Hi,

  I understand MaxAuthTries is a parameter used to restrict the maximum
number of authentication attempts. But I notice a difference in behavior
when run from different client  versions.
  The MaxAuthTries at the server side is 6.  The server side is running
OpenSSH 6.6 version.
  When  wrong password is given from an openssh client 6.1 version, it
disconnects after 3 attempts.
  When  wrong password is given from an openssh client 6.6 version, it
disconnects after 5 attempts.

  What is the reason for this difference ?  Shouldn't the behavior be the
same, across both the clients, since MaxAuthTries is a server side
parameter?

  Regards
  Opensshuser