OpenSSH and CBC

Aris Adamantiadis aris at 0xbadc0de.be
Tue Jun 16 22:43:34 AEST 2015

Hi Gerhard,

This is not exactly true. CTR modes have the length field encrypted. etm
MAC modes and AES-GCM have the length field in cleartext.
CBC is dangerous because the length field is encrypted with CBC.

aes128-ctr + hmac-sha256 doesn't have any known vulnerability and
encrypts the packet length, but uses the bad practice of e&m.
chacha20-poly1305 encrypts both payload and packet len + uses
authenticated encryption (best practice), even if the implementation
looks very similar to etm.

Aris