Unix socket support for sshd

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Fri Feb 5 03:00:27 AEDT 2016

On 04 Feb (10:46:55), Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Thu 2016-02-04 07:40:39 -0500, David Goulet wrote:
>
> > I would like to know if adding support for Unix socket to sshd would be a
> > feature that would be consider to be added upstream? (ListenAddress).
>
> fwiw, i think this is a good idea, but i wouldn't implement it as an
> explicit ListenAddress option: i'd rather have sshd be able to listen on
> an inherited file descriptor.  This would allow generic socket
> activation, regardless of socket type.

Hrm... not sure I fully understand here. How would sshd inherited an fd? And
what do you mean by "allow generic socket activation"? If I understand it,
wouldn't that require a wrapper over sshd?

Let's assume I set up an sshd and want it to use Unix socket in
/foo/bar/ssh.sock, how would that work without me being able to specify
somewhere the path?

Thanks!
David