Test Failure OpenSSH 7.1 P2 on HPE NSE for integrity

Randall S. Becker rsbecker at nexbridge.com
Fri Feb 12 09:25:59 AEDT 2016

On February 10, 2016 10:23 AM, I wrote:
> On February 9, 2016 9:30 PM, Darren Tucker wrote:
> [...]
> > This one looks odd.  The ssh session itself looks OK: it authenticates
> > then sends a printf shell command (basically, just a way of
> > guaranteeing a minimum amount of output being sent back:
> >
> > > debug1: Sending command: printf "%4096s" " "
> >
> > The session then closes OK but ssh exists with a -1 error code, which
> > gets propagated back up the stack as a failure.
> >
> > > debug1: Exit status -1

I put in a couple of debug statements in clientloop.c where exit_status is
set. It looks like the initialization of exit_status = -1 is the only point
where the value is modified. I'm trying to figure out how the while can exit
without exit_status being modified. Can you shed some light on that? The
neither of the packet_get_int() calls that set exit_status (approx. near
1790 and 2091) are being invoked. Modpipe seems happy enough, with the read
and write calls working and internal aborts.

Cheers,
Randall