Canonical Link to Reference of "ServerAliveInterval"

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Tue Feb 28 03:09:12 AEDT 2017

Am 27.02.2017 um 06:41 schrieb Darren Tucker:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Thomas Güttler
> <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>> It would be very nice if you could create a link to the specific keyword.
>>
>> For example
>>  http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/ssh_config.5#ServerAliveInterval
>>
>> How does this page get created?
>
> It's generated on the fly from the mandoc source of the OpenBSD man
> page by http://man.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi (which is part of the
> mandoc package:
> http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/mandoc/).
>
> It already uses HTML anchors for section links (eg
> http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/ssh_config.5#PATTERNS)
> though, so I doubt anyone would be interested in special cases for ssh
> pages.

HTML anchors don't cost money. They don't disturb the human eye, since they are invisible.

Yes, you are right. Hacking mandoc for ssh custom stuff is no good idea.

The HTML looks roughly like this:

   <dd >Sets a timeout interval in seconds after which if no data
       has been received from the server, <a class="Xr" href="/ssh.1">ssh(1)</a>
       will send a message through the encrypted channel to request a response
       from the server. The default is 0, indicating that these messages will not
       be sent to the server.</dd>

AFAIK, this would be enough to make canonical and direct links work:

mandoc seems to understand that this is a glossary like listing.

Maybe there is a generic solution possible... which means no dirty hacking
in mandoc for ssh.

What do you think?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler