proposed change to ssh_connect_direct()

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Jan 12 13:49:29 AEDT 2017

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Peter Moody <mindrot at hda3.com> wrote:
> so I spent a bit of time looking at this and it seems like the only
> way to go, at least if I want to keep it in ssh_connect_direct(), is
> to use pthreads. further, it seems like getting that accepted is
> something of a long shot:

Sorry, pthreads is a non-starter.

I would have thought that using non-blocking connect (ie set
O_NONBLOCK on the fds, initiate the connections then select on the set
until one succeeds) would be feasible, though.

> so, approaching this from a different angle, what if I wanted to have
> something else establish the tcp connection and then fork/dup2/exec
> ssh and pass off the fd's for the network connection?

That's how ProxyComand and ProxyUseFdpass work.  Your dialler is a
separate program so it can do whatever you like, including use
pthreads if that's your thing.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)