OpenSSH Hangs After Successful Authentication

David A. Gershman gershman at dagertech.net
Mon Jan 16 16:16:46 AEDT 2017

So it may help others, I found a forum post
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/344863/ssh-new-connection-begins-to-hang-not-reject-or-terminate-after-a-day-or-so-on>
with the following note:

    /A problem can arise when you are trying to connect from behind a
    NAT router using OpenSSH. During session setup, after the password
    has been given, OpenSSH sets the TOS (type of service) field in the
    IP datagram. Some routers are known to choke on this. The effect is
    that your session hangs indefinitely after you gave your password./

As such, the post suggests using NetCat as a proxy:

    ssh -o "ProxyCommand nc %h %p" {user-name}@host.com

which worked for me.

I don't see this as a fix as, again, PuTTY and OpenSSH on the MacOS side
of my laptop work fine as does OpenSSH with my TP-LINK USB device.

Good Luck!